Making a popular return this summer is Cornwall’s convenient and affordable Saturday night bus service. Devon also benefits from year-round night buses with an extra route being added this year in Newton Abbot.
The initiative is funded by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) and delivered in partnership with local councils, businesses and emergency services. The scheme aims to reduce drink and drug driving, alcohol related crime and antisocial behaviour, and violence against women and girls, while supporting the night-time economy by helping people get home safely up until 4am. Journeys are also affordable, capped at a maximum of £3 per way.
In Cornwall, the Newquay night bus is making a comeback with some route changes, and a new service will be available in Perranporth. Both are being delivered by new provider Go Cornwall for 16 weeks from Saturday, May 23, to Saturday, September 5.
Last year the Newquay bus ran for 14 weeks and was used by 745 passengers – an average of 53 per night.
In Devon, night bus services now run all year round due to demand. Areas within the scheme include North Devon, Torquay, Plymouth, Exeter and Cranbrook.
The continued expansion of the successful scheme will see the introduction of Newton Abbot night bus – solely funded by Torbay Council – launched on Saturday, May 30.
Since night buses were first trialled in 2023 as a Christmas service and then also a summer service, more than 28,500 passengers have travelled on them. The average number of passengers using night buses across Devon and Cornwall night was 530 people.
Hoping that even more people will benefit from them this summer and beyond, Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez said: “The night buses provide an easy and affordable way for people to enjoy a night out or go to work and know they can get home safely.
“Due to high passenger numbers, my office has committed to continue being the main funder of night buses where they are most needed throughout 2026 to ensure community safety and crime prevention which are among my key priorities. The service has already proven to have contributed to a reduction in antisocial behaviour and violence as well as drink/drug drive cases. It is also reassuring that no incidents have been reported on the buses themselves either showing once again how effective they are.
“It has been incredible to see the service grow from one route over 10 weeks, to 10 routes all year round in Devon and, for 2026, two 16 week summer services in Newquay and Perranporth. This would not have been possible without the support of our local transport providers so thank you to Stagecoach for its ongoing commitment to the Devon scheme, and to Go Cornwall for taking on the Newquay route this year.”
Regarding wider transport safety, the Commissioner added that as part of the OPCC’s ongoing work around disrupting violence against women and girls, she has written a letter of support for a proposed research project focusing on gender-based violence on public transport. Fellowship funding is being sought by Dr Sian Lewis at the University of Plymouth to address a critical evidence gap by focusing on lived experiences.
Public safety is a key policing priority and the night bus routes are seen as an important part of keeping people safe at night.
Sector Inspector Steve Johnson of Devon & Cornwall Police, based in Newquay said: “We welcome the reintroduction of the night bus in Cornwall and the provision of continued services across Devon. The night bus has been shown to reduce antisocial behaviour, drink/drug drive related incidents and violence against women and girls.
“Partnership work is a key part of our prevention efforts and we’re pleased to be working alongside local businesses and councils to help prevent crime and improve safety.
“I encourage anyone who is enjoying a night out in the Newquay and Perranporth areas to consider using the new night bus service to get home safely.”
Mark Collins, Commercial Director Go Cornwall Bus, said: “Go Cornwall Bus is proud to be partnering with the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner to provide these night bus services in Newquay and Perranporth this summer. Passenger safety is always a top priority for us, and as a White Ribbon accredited organisation, we are proud to support an initiative that helps all people, particularly women and girls, travel home safely.”
Councillor Thalia Marrington, Cornwall Council’s portfolio holder for community safety, said: “I am delighted we are continuing to support the night bus scheme, and that the service is returning to Newquay and Perranporth this summer.
“The evidence shows these buses help reduce antisocial behaviour and have a direct impact on safety, especially for women and girls.
“It is a great example of how partnership working can make a real positive difference for our communities.”
Councillor Hayley Tranter, Torbay Council’s cabinet member for Adult and Community Services, Public Health and Inequalities, said: “Extending this route into Newton Abbot will help more people get home safely after a night out. It will also benefit people working late into the evening such as shift workers or anyone working in hospitality.
“A strong night-time economy relies on safe and reliable transport and this night bus service is an important part of that.”
Night bus routes in Cornwall
- Newquay
- Perranporth to Newquay
Bus times can be found by visiting Transport for Cornwall – Bus tickets, timetables & more
Night bus routes in Devon
- Exeter to Cullompton, Cranbrook, Crediton and Exmouth
- Barnstaple to Bideford and Ilfracombe
- Plymouth to Tavistock and Saltash
- Torquay to Paignton and Brixham
- Newton Abbot to Torquay (starting from May 30)
Bus times can be found on the Stagecoach website https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/night-buses
and app.
Devon and Cornwall night bus timetables can also be found on the Devon & Cornwall Police website here: Night Buses | Devon & Cornwall Police